On the third day of the dig, the archeologists found a small section of white marble curbing consisting of three blocks (about 20 inches long by 2.5 inches wide x 10.5 inches tall) underneath a thick slab of concrete (part of the twentieth century basement areaway treatment). The line of curbing ran southward, perpendicular to the house and was continued on to the south with a line of common bricks. It probably served as some type of low retaining wall although subsequent disturbances to the area make it difficult to interpret. The granular white marble used for the curbing is, according to the archeology report, consistent with the widely quarried in Westchester County during the second quarter of the nineteenth century. The report also notes that Samuel Plumb’s brother David Plumb advertised in the Northern Whig as early as 1814 that he had marble slabs for sale. So, it is possible that this curbing was part of the original Plumb-era landscape treatment or was perhaps re-used in a later campaign. Perhaps we will find some additional sections of curbing in the follow-on archeological study which can add to the story here.